If you’re looking to add a touch of Christmas magic to your holiday celebrations, why not try creating a simple but gorgeous tablescape? With just a few easy ideas and some of these tutorials, you can create a beautiful tablescape that will have everyone talking.
A tablescape is a decorative setting for a table. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you like and can be used to create a festive or seasonal look for your holiday celebrations.
Some of the links below contain affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Table decor is having a moment right now and with the ease and convenience of affordable stores such as TJmaxx, Home Goods, and Target, you’re sure to be able to create a memorable Christmas tablescape with items that can fit any budget.
A Christmas tablescape is all about the details, so don’t rush through this project! Make sure you take your time and enjoy yourself while creating your A Christmas tablescape is all about the details, so don’t rush through this project! Make sure you take your time and enjoy yourself while creating your masterpiece. You’ll also want to make sure that you choose items that go together well so that they create an overall cohesive look.
What Do You Need for a Christmas Tablescape?
Just like any table setting decor, you’ll need some standard items;
A tablecloth, turkish towel, table runner, scarf, or even a beach towel!
A centerpiece – flowers, plants, a decorative sculpture or for Christmas a small Christmas tree!
Accessories such as bells, “now” (see below), votive candles, fruit, and or other small plants.
Dishes, glasses, napkins and silverware.
Where the beauty comes from is figuring out ideal combinations, small details, and cute additions to level up your table decor.
Important Tips to Remember When Creating Your Christmas Tablescape:
Choose decorations and dishes in coordinated color stories.
To get a better sense of what colors go well together check out this awesome color wheel.
Source color combinations from nature – for the holidays green is a really solid choice and it’s a perfect decoration to liven up any table. Using fresh greens, or green colored napkins or table clothes
Don’t overdo it, even though it’s tempting to use every single decoration in sight, remember that less is more when it comes down to creating beautiful table settings! You want everything on your table.
Here are some additional tips for a Perfect Christmas Tablescape:
1) Start with your centerpiece first; this will help determine what type of tableware and other decorations you’ll need. Flowers, bells, and mistletoe all work really well as a centerpiece for a Christmas tablescape.
2) Choose one color scheme for the season (reds and greens work well), then use that color throughout all the elements in your table setting, from plates down to napkins!
3) Make sure each element complements each other so everything looks uniform (this includes flowers).
4) Consider lighting. Utilizing battery string fairy lights or small votive candles can set the mood and create an atmosphere of glam for your Christmas tablescape.
Set the Mood With a Christmas Themed Tablescape
There are so many different ways you can design your table decor for your Christmas party, Christmas dinner, or Christmas even festivities.
Depending on whether or not kids are joining you the possibilities are (almost) endless.
From classic color palettes to bold and vibrant colors, there’s something for everyone who’s getting ready to entertain and offer up that wow factor.
Your Tablescape can serve not only as a gathering place for your guests but also to provide a vibe.
How fancy or casual you go can also dictate the wardrobe of guests.
Is this a catered event with a black-tie only? Or are you hosting a come as you are kind of Christmas dinner? We love a pajama-themed Christmas Eve theme and tablescapes that incorporate a “night before Christmas” element can elevate the mood.
Red & White Christmas Table Setting
Inspired by the classic look of red and white, this tablescape is a great way to add a touch of festive cheer to your table without going overboard. Opt for red and white striped napkins or chargers.
The red-and-white striped napkins and the tabletop runner can add some retro flair that’s perfect for Christmas dinner.
Use colorful bells, candy canes, or even ribbons for an added texture.
Classic Green & Gold Christmas Tablescape
For a more classic Christmas tablescape, stick with green and gold. This is a timeless color combination that always looks chic and elegant.
When it comes to the tablecloth, you can either go with a solid green or gold, or opt for a fabric that has some patterns or designs to it such as this one.
Gold chargers are a great way to add some shimmer and shine to the table, and they also help to tie everything together.
For the place settings, use gold flatware and white plates. You can also add a green napkin for an extra pop of color.
To add a touch of Christmas flare, try using gold candlesticks and green candles. You can also use gold ornaments as part of your tablescape.
Add a Touch of Hollywood Glam to your Tablescape
To achieve a glamorous look to your tablescape youâ€™re going to want to focus on layering elements.
Chargers, plates, silverware for every course, glasses for water, wine, aperetifs, the whole lot. Think, Downton Abby – but modernized.
Youâ€™ll also want to focus on what can be vertical, what can be put on a small serving tray or an elegant vase.
Silver chargers are a great way to add some shimmer and shine to the table, and they also help to tie everything together.
Use Food or Small plants to Decorate yur Tablescape for Christmas
Poinsettias are such a classic Christmas plant that it makes a no brainer to add to your tablescape. Full of lush reds and greens it’s an awesome natural addition.
Fruits like pomegranates, oranges, or even small pumpkins and other gords can serve as an inexpensive and beautiful layer of texture for your Christmas tablescapes.
We love adding small presents onto the table, that also act as a little party favor to all of your guests. Be it a box full of macrons, or a small trinket, it’s a cute and clever way to decorate and also clean up after (as your guests will physically take the tablescape with them!
Vintage Glam Christmas Tablescape
This tablescape idea is perfect if you want to add a touch of glamour to your Christmas table.
Start with a black or white tablecloth, and then add some sparkle with gold or silver chargers.
To add a touch of Christmas flair, try using gold or silver candlesticks and candles. You can also use gold or silver ornaments as part of your tablescape.
Mix and match pieces to add an eclectic vibe to your Christmas tablescape or decor.
Christmas Tablescape with a Pop of Color
If you want to add a touch of Christmas cheer to your tablescape, try using a pop of color. This is a great way to add some festive flair to your table without going overboard.
Use a basic monotone table cloth, or table runner, and pair it with plain white plates or matching plates and napkins. For the pop of color use a bright napkin ring, some bright chargers, and maybe a centerpiece in a coordinating color.
We have some grey placemats, white plates, and bright red napkins that do the trick for us for some Christmas-themed parties.
Natural Elements on Your Tablescape
Pinecones are an old-fashioned decoration for your Christmas tree, but they’re also a fun way to add some natural flair to your table.
Add greenery with green plants and flowers – we love the idea of using poinsettias as well!
Pine leaves are another great option when it comes to holiday decor: they’re available year-round (unlike real pinecones) and come in tons of different shapes and sizes. Use them individually as decorations or group them together for an unusual centerpiece alternative.
Either way, let’s be honest: pine needles just look cool!
More Budget-Friendly Christmas Tablescape Ideas
So, you want a festive Christmas tablescape without breaking the bank? Here are some easy and budget-friendly ideas:
- Tie a jute or burlap ribbon around your centerpiece. This is perfect for tablescapes with kids. You can ask them to create something fun on it, like snowflakes using glitter glue!
- For a gorgeous tablescape with pine cones, fill a glass bowl with fall leaves and arrange three or four pinecones in the middle of the bowl. Add some berries around the pinecones for an extra pop of color!
- Take red and green balls, and arrange them in a bowl. Add some green leaves or pinecones if you like.
- To add a touch of gold to your table, fill a simple gold vase with pine branches. A simple bow will finish off this look beautifully. This is an elegant and natural way to add some sparkle to your Christmas table!
- Use gold chargers on top of white linens so the plates stand out. Use crystal glasses and white flowers in tall vases around the room. Finish off the look with candles on each table.
- Christmas trees – A mini tree centerpiece is always popular in the winter months because it adds color and texture to any room. If you don’t want to buy decorations then try making one from pinecones, twigs, and branches collected from outside (make sure they haven’t been sprayed with pesticides).
- Use colorful linens! Even if you don’t have linens that match perfectly, mixing and matching different colors creates an interesting look that will make your guests feel like they’ve stepped into Christmas land.
- Add some greenery! No matter what time of year it is, adding fresh greenery always makes things feel more alive and beautiful. You can add potted plants (like cacti or succulents), greens from your yard (like leaves or flowers),
Paper Snowflakes as Part of Your Tablescape
Paper snowflakes are a fun way to add some holiday cheer to your tablescape. They’re also incredibly easy and cheap to make and a great way to get the kids involved in party planning.
All you need is some white paper and a pair of scissors. Once you have your snowflakes, you can arrange them however you like. Experiment with different types of paper for elevated or more casual designs, or even get the kids involved in making the snowflakes.
Christmas is a time for family, friends, and good food. But it’s also a time for decorating! If you’re looking for simple ideas and tutorials on how to create a gorgeous tablescape, look no further. With these easy Christmas dining table decor ideas and tutorials, you can easily create a beautiful holiday tablescape that will have everyone talking.
There you have it – our favorite Christmas tablescape ideas! Whether you’re going for a classic look or something more unique, we hope these ideas inspired you. Happy holidays!
More Content from Advice for Millennials:
How to Design a Thanksgiving Tablescape
37 Holiday DIY Decor Ideas (Cheap, Easy, And Gorgeous)
33 Adorable, Thoughtful, And Unique Christmas Mason Jar Gift Ideas To Make This Holiday Season